Non-residential Development

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The following is a list of common non-residential development topics with links to detailed informational handouts. More information about a specific project is available by contacting the Union City Building Division at (510) 675-5313.

Handouts And Forms:

Submittal Requirements:

Complete sets of building plans, reports and documents are required for the plan check for construction, to verify whether your project requires plans to be submitted, you may contact the Building Division at (510) 675-5313. Depending on the type and scope of project, review and approval by the Planning Division may be required prior to submittal for building permits. Contact a planner at the Planning Division by calling (510) 675-5319.

Storage Racks And High Pile Storage:

All storage rack installations for any industrial or commercial use that are more than 6-feet high require a Building Permit prior to installation, and the submittal of structural calculations. An annual operating Fire Permit for High-Pile Combustible Storage from the Fire Department is required for storage of combustible materials on closely packed piles or combustible materials on pallets, in racks or on shelves where the top of storage is greater than 12’ in height. When required by the Fire Code Official, high-piled combustible storage also includes certain high hazard commodities, such as rubber tires, Group A plastics, flammable liquids, idle pallets and similar commodities, where the top of the storage is greater

Handouts And Forms For Storage Rack Submittals:

Handouts And Forms For High Pile Storage Submittals:

Ensuring Code Compliance

Fire prevention inspectors conduct periodic inspections of facilities to ensure that business operations are conducted in a safe manner and are consistent with the conditions of approval. The Fire Prevention Bureau also issues permits and conducts inspections for special events such as festivals, events with tents or canopies, and fireworks booths. These services are provided under contract with Alameda County Fire Department, and are located at City Hall. For further information regarding these types of inspection and permits, contact Rebecca Lu at (510) 675-5360 or

Districts And County Offices:

Alameda County Environmental Health Department – Restaurants
1131 Harbor Bay Parkway
Alameda, CA 94502
(510) 567-6700

Union Sanitary District
5072 Benson Road
Union City, CA 94587
(510) 477-7500


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer