Eviction & Harassment Protections - Effective 05/10/17
On April 11, 2017, the City of Union City approved an Ordinance that will add Chapter 5.50 “Residential Landlord and Tenant Relations” to the City’s municipal code. The Residential Landlord and Tenant Relations Ordinance goes into effect on May 10, 2017.
The Ordinance regulates most residential rental units in the City and requires landlords to provide a specific reason for terminating a lease, prohibits landlords from engaging in specific harassment activity, and requires that landlords provide tenants with a notice of tenant rights in all of the following situations:
- within sixty days of the Ordinance effective date (May 10, 2017);
- when entering into a new lease or rental agreement;
- when renewing a lease or rental agreement; and
- when issuing a notice of termination;
Residential Landlord and Tenant Relations Ordinance (839-17)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Notice of Tenants Rights Form
Rent Review (Mediation)
On February 14, 2017, the City Council of Union City voted to develop a non-binding rent mediation ordinance and on March 28, 2017 the City Council provide direction on key components of the ordinance. On June 13, 2017, the City Council introduced an ordinance that adds Chapter 5.55 “Rent Review” to the City’s municipal code and on June 27, 2017 the City Council will be voting to adopt this ordinance.
The proposed ordinance will regulate most residential rental units in Union City and provide a mediation process for qualifying rent increases. If adopted, the proposed ordinance will go into effect on October 2, 2017. For further information, please sign up to receive notifications below.
Request for Proposals
The City has issued two Request for Proposals (RFPs) for:
- A Program Administrator to implement the Eviction & Harassment Protection Ordinance and the proposed Rent Review Ordinance. Review RFP
- A professional mediator(s) to provide on-call mediation services and serve as the Rent Review Officer for the proposed Rent Review Ordinance. Review RFP
Deadline to Respond: July 24, 2017 at 5 PM
Business License Info
Rent & Tenant Taskforce
City Council Meeting Information
|5/17/16 Staff Report|
Housing & Community Development Coordinator
Phone: (510) 675-5322