Energy Use in Union City
In Union City, the consumption of gas and electricity for buildings (appliances, lighting, cooling, heating, and cooking) generates almost half of all greenhouse gas emissions. About half of the electric power provided to PG&E customers was generated by fossil fuels (39% by natural gas, 8% by coal); the rest is nuclear and hydroelectric power and other renewable sources. The use of fossil fuel releases harmful greenhouse gasses like carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, contributing to the greenhouse effect. Climate change is the result of burning fossil fuels. The easiest way to reduce the emissions from these harmful fuel sources is to decrease your business’ use by becoming more energy efficient. By increasing your energy efficiency you are simultaneously reducing your carbon emissions and shrinking your ecological foot print.
Why Save Energy?
Saving energy is saving money. Electricity rates have increased by as much as 8% annually since 2000 and are expected to continue to rise at similar rates. A few simple adjustments could shave a significant amount off your energy bills. Energy audits, installation assistance, rebates, and other forms of financing are available for business owners who wish to decrease their gas and electricity usage.
Energy Efficiency at My Business
Energy efficiency is easy! From small steps to big changes, several organizations will hold your hand through the process.
The Union City Energy Smart Business Program is a partnership between the City of Union City, PG&E, and the Union City Chamber of Commerce to promote energy efficiency in local Union City businesses. The City’s partnership with PG&E brings valuable NO-COST energy assessments, several NO-COST programs, and FINANCIAL INCENTIVES AND REBATES to Union City Businesses.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
The City of Union City is working closely with PG&E representatives and contractors who will be performing facility assessments to identify ways for local businesses to save energy and money. After your facility assessment, you will be provided with recommendations on potential ways to save energy and improve your bottom line. The PG&E rep can explain available incentives and rebates as well as answer any questions you may have about available programs.
Installation and Rebates
The PG&E representative will walk you through the application and installation process and inform you of what is needed to obtain your rebate.
What do I get?
You can benefit from energy cost savings, upgraded equipment, and a more comfortable working environment. In addition, your participation as a ‘Union City Energy Smart Business’ will help other businesses recognize that energy efficiency not only helps our environment, but makes good business sense.
Who do I call?
Interested in participating in the Union City Energy Smart Campaign? The Business Energy Services Team (BEST), a joint partnership of PG&E and the East Bay Energy Watch is available to assist you. To participate, please call 1-800-576-6405 or email email@example.com with your contact information, and a PG&E representative will follow-up with you.
Interested in No-Cost solutions? Try these five simple energy-saving tips from Flex Your Power:
- Maximize natural light and turn off unnecessary office lights. Lighting accounts for almost 40% of commercial electricity use, so turn off unnecessary lighting or install occupancy-sensors and put a big dent in your PG&E bill.
- Turn off office equipment such as printers, computers, fax machines and the coffee maker at night and when not in use. Adjust power management settings to activate "sleep" mode during periods of inactivity
- Keep windows and doors closed to prevent the loss of cooled air. Adjust blinds and window coverings on windows that receive direct sun
- Plug all radios, cell phone and mp3 chargers, fans and other personal electronics into a power strip that can be turned off when not in use. These devices draw energy 24/7, even when switched off
- Dress comfortably for the weather. Adjust your clothing before adjusting the thermostat