Animal Services

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Animal PicThe Animal Services Unit is a part of the Union City Police Department. It is currently staffed by one full-time Public Services Officer and one part-time employee seven days a week, except for holidays.

Annually, the unit responds to about 1,500 calls for service such as injured animals, requests to pick up animals, removal of dead animals, taking reports of animal bites and removal of snakes. The unit also patrols for stray animals, issues citations for leash law violations and investigates complaints of inhumane treatment of animals.

Their telephone number is 510-675-5234.

Do I need to license my dog and, if so, when?
Every dog owner must license their dog when the dog is four months or older. This license must be renewed annually. Go directly to Dog Licensing

What do I do about a neighbor's noisy pet and what will be done?
The Animal Services Unit will respond to complaints of noisy animals. An educational brochure is left with the animal's owner and compliance with state and city laws are requested. If the noise continues, the matter may be referred to the Alameda County District Attorney's Office for prosecution.

What happens if I'm bitten by an animal?
Animal bites are investigated and documented following the guidelines of the State Health & Welfare Agency Department of Health Services for treatment, investigation and control of animal bites. Bite reports are not generally taken on rodent bites. These can be referred to Alameda County Vector Control at (510) 567-6800.

Will Animal Services pick-up cats that I find on my property?
Cats are not subject to the city's leash laws. The Animal Services Unit does not pick up stray cats. Persons who experience property damage due to cats may rent humane live traps from several equipment rental services listed in the telephone directory. Cats can be baited and trapped legally. Trapped cats can be transported to the Tri-City Animal Shelter in Fremont, located Fremont Police Department at 2000 Stevenson Boulevard in Fremont.

If my pet becomes ill, will Animal Services pick it up?
Sick or injured owned pets should be taken to a veterinarian for treatment or taken to a veterinarian for euthanasia by their owners.

Will Animal Services Unit pick up deceased animals, and from where?
All dead animals are picked up by the Animal Services Unit as soon as possible. This includes animals found in public areas as well as on city streets. For a fee, we will provide dead animal removal to pet owners.

Where is the Animal Shelter for Union City?
The shelter is located at the Tri-City Animal Shelter, 1950 Stevenson Boulevard, Fremont. Their telephone number is (510) 790-6640.

Does the Animal Services Unit pick-up loose dogs and will they pick-up owner release animals?
The Animal Services Unit picks up all dogs found in violation of the city's leash laws (see Municipal Code). Dog owners who no longer wish to maintain their pet should make every effort to place the animal with a new owner. Such efforts might include breed rescue clubs and humane societies. As a last resort, the Animal Services Unit will pick up owned pets. There is a fee for this service.

Will the Animal Services Unit respond to bee, wasp, or hornet (yellow jacket) complaints?
The Animal Services Unit does not respond to complaints about insects such as bees, wasps, or hornets. Alameda County Vector Control does respond to these problems, and they may be able to help resolve the situation, or pest control companies can handle such matters.

Are exotic pets allowed in Union City?
Exotic animals are fully defined in 8.20.010 of the Union City Municipal Code. No person may own or keep any exotic animal, e.g. venomous snakes, alligators, hawks, tigers, etc., without a permit issued by the City of Union City.

Who can I call about nuisance wildlife?
An Alameda County Vector Control inspector will investigate all forms of nuisance wildlife, and advice and remediation suggested. Trapping of nuisance wildlife is reserved for clear “health and safety” threats, or significant depredation of property. Trapped animals must be euthanized, as required by California State law. The Animal Services Unit will investigate reports of snakes and remove them when necessary.

What does Animal Services do about loose livestock?
Livestock are captured and returned to their pasture when possible. If a responsible party can be located, they are informed of the problem and possible measures to prevent a reoccurrence.

What happens to injured animals?
All injured animals are picked up by the The Animal Services Unit and taken directly to a local veterinarian for treatment. Injured wildlife is taken to the Ohlone Humane Society Wildlife Rehabilitation Center in Newark.




Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer