Zero Tolerance for Illegal Fireworks
Many Americans, including children, are injured and/or disfigured each year due to the destructive power of fireworks. We want you to safely enjoy this upcoming 4th of July celebration by considering the following fire safety laws and initiatives:
- Only "Safe and Sane" or State-approved fireworks purchased from non-profit fireworks stands are allowed in Union City.
- No fireworks of any kind, including "Safe and Sane", are allowed east of Mission Blvd.
- All parks in Union City will close at 7:30 p.m.
- City ordinance requires written approval from a property owner(s) if you intend to use "Safe and Sane" fireworks on a property other than your own.
- "Safe and Sane" fireworks can be used:
- From 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on days when "Safe and Sane" fireworks are sold in Union City.
- From 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. on July 4th.
These provisions of the law will be enforced with a “zero tolerance” approach. The Police and Fire Departments respond to all complaints involving the use of fireworks. Individuals who use illegal fireworks and/or misuse “Safe and Sane” fireworks may be subject to citation and/or arrest. In addition, the Police and Fire Departments will be issuing citations to property owners and tenants who allow the use of illegal fireworks on their property or property under their control. The property owner and tenant will be held liable and cited for associated violations. Additional fireworks regulation fee schedules are located under Union City Municipal Code Section 15.20.140 Chapter 56, Explosives and Fireworks. Link:http://qcode.us/codes/unioncity/
Our goal is to report that Union City suffers no injuries or damage to buildings due to the use of fireworks on 4th of July.